Resume – Recruiters Please Read
User Experience Developer – 2013 – Present
For Splunk, I wrote the SimpleSplunkVisualization library, a toolkit that abstracted the complexities of Splunk’s data access and visualization library into a single, usable toolkit that enabled developers to build new graphs and charts quickly. Today, over twenty visualizations Splunk ships with its web framework use the SSV. I also developed a window manager that allows pre-built splunk visualizations to be arranged and saved on web-pages in an ad-hoc manner, allowing customers to create their own mixed-display Splunk pages.
User Experience Developer – 2012 – 2013
The CK12 Foundation
For the CK-12 foundation I developed illustrated discovery paths for students to track their learning, provided a more consistent experience for on-line library management, and provided A/B testing support for those.
User Experience Developer – 2010 – 2012
Spiral Genetics, Inc
Senior Systems Developer – 2009-current
- Developed and deployed a rapid video encoder using Amazon EC2 that accelerated their in-house encoding scheme from 12 films a day to 720 films a day. Developed a collection of tools to automatically detect the feature film, distinct from trailers and add-ons, from a DVD image.
- Integrated the IndieFlix website with the following APIs: Facebook, Twitter, Constant Contact, Amazon AWS, Authorize.Net, Google Calendar, WordPress, Feedburner, iCal.
- Developed an automated back-end invoice management system to replace a manual system, reducing errors and improving warehouse productivity. Tied invoice clearance to our accounting package, further reducing manual labor.
Freelance Developer – 2009
- Developed a tree-walking module in PHP linking WordPress post categories to a collection of specialized pages for the Seattle Metropolitan Credit Union’s marketing site, 7 Principles.
- Wrote a web-based teaching tool, with Django, for a web security company that took assembly language in one panel and displayed the opcodes or compiler errors in another panel in real time.
- Developed, designed, and deployed a brochure WordPress CMS on WAMP site for
the Retired Public Employees of Washington.
- Developed, designed and deployed the WordPress theme for iGameRadio.com
Senior UI Developer — 2001 – 2009
Isilon Systems, Inc
- From 2006-2009, I developed rich web interfaces for related Isilon products including the SmartConnect DNS distributor, SnapshotIQ software, and Isilon SmartQuotas, using Prototype/Scriptaculous and Ext-JS on a standard LAMP platform.
- Developed a test-driven development program for UI development with FireWATIR, WebUnit, and Cucumber.
- Maintained the Apache webserver and Python language base components of the Isilon IQ Appliance.
Systems Software Developer — 1998 – 2000
- Merged previously separate C++ GUI and C console libraries for low-level appliance interface, effectively halving maintenance time and doubling resources.
- Created Perl-based health-check code using off-the-shelf libraries to administer back-end services and automate quality of service systems.
- Wrote and maintained Perl/Curses boot-up system for four generations of F5 appliances.
Systems Software Developer — 1994 – 1998
CompuServe Information Services Internet Consulting Division
- Managed over sixty corporate and small-business websites simultaneously using an in-house, Perl-based monitoring system. I developed a collating web-management toolkit, compiling all relevant information about a web server farm into a single set of documents for ease-of-monitoring, reducing management time by 80%.
- Implemented a secure pull-technology distribution server system for testing and updating corporate websites off-line in Python, generating $140,000 a year. Innovated the first commercial use of OraPerl, allowing customer Pacific Power to use an Oracle-based database directly on the web.
- Launched the first multi-homed commercial web service in 1994 on Linux and SunOS 4.1.3.
- Designed and implemented in Perl, C++ and Oracle a new customer registration toolkit for Internet appliances, generating 40,000 new accounts.
Webmaster — 1994 – 1996
National Center for Missing and Exploited Children
- Conceived, designed and implemented a complete end-to-end solution for translating NCMECs BBS-based missing-children image library into an on-line database with search engine, automatic banner generation, and administrative console, using Apache, MySQL, Perl, HTML, CSS, and Linux.
- LAMP Deployment
- Python, Perl, Ruby, PHP
- Amazon AWS API
- Facebook Connect API, Twitter API, Constant Contact API, Authorize.Net
- Unix shell programming
- Unix server administration
- Information Architecture
- Appliance UI design
- Contributed to the Linux driver for the Microsoft Sidewinder Joystick without Force Feedback
- Contributed to the Apache Webserver Project, providing documentation and time-to-Service modifications, Apache mod_log.c
- Thinksaber, a toy that turns a Linux Thinkpad into a lightsaber
- Custom WordPress themes for three political campaigns and one non-political fund-raiser
- Rails-to-PHP interface connecting a Rails-based portal site to PHPBB.
- XALT, a Django-based intranet tool for teaching x86 Assembly language.
- Ellody, a Django-based publishing platform for fiction.
- Available on request